Football’s brilliant for some father and son bonding

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member

Football’s brilliant for some father and son bonding…

celtic-v-inverness-caledonian-thistle-scottish-cup-final-63.jpeg

My young son has, over the past few years, develop an interest in football. I would go as far to say that Celtic (and football in general) has become a passion of his. He is keen to demonstrate his knowledge of current players, not only from Celtic but, from clubs across every league imaginable.

Without doubt, his knowledge of current players exceeds that of his auld da.

At the start of the season I bought him EA SPORTS FC 2024 (previous FIFA) for his games console, and we spend many (at times frustrating) hours playing. A wee bit of father-son bonding over a sport we both love.

celtic-v-aberdeen-cinch-scottish-premiership-42.jpeg

Ultimately, he gets to choose who we sign, while I baulk at the over-inflated prices in the simulation marketplace and attempt to talk him round to my (more frugal) approach. “It’s not real money dad, so calm down.”

So, if his signings perform well, he takes great delight in reminding me of his eye for a player and insists he is praised for his scouting prowess! If they flop, then they are moved on quietly and with minimal fuss (to save face in front of his dad).

celtic-v-inverness-caledonian-thistle-scottish-cup-final-62.jpeg

Of course, he doesn’t get it all his own way, and there are times I cannot resist trying to steer him in the direction of a player that I think will make our team better. There are even times where I’ll make signings without his knowledge or “approval.” If he voices displeasure at this, then I remind him that I bought the game and I’m his dad, so ultimately I get to decide. Pull rank, if you like.

Despite our differences of opinion on these matters, it’s still great fun, and only a game after all.

celtic-v-inverness-caledonian-thistle-scottish-cup-final-64.jpeg

That’s the whole point…..it’s just a game.

I mean, in what version of reality would we ever find ourselves in this position in the real world?!

Now, could anyone imagine letting us loose on a real football club!!?? Father and son playing out the scenario above, with tens of thousands of supporters spending real money on season tickets and, countless thousands worldwide, whose passion and life revolve around that football club?

Just imagine that happening…

Paul Maguire

THE CELTIC STAR’S WINTER SALE IS NOW ON! GET A MASSIVE 50% OFF ALL BOOKS AT CELTICSTARBOOKS.COM/SHOP…

More Stories / Latest

Jan 29 2024, 22:29

Celtic FC Women – Elena Sadiku System Analysis
Jan 29 2024, 21:24

Liverpool rub salt in Celtic’s wounds as Owen Beck set for Dundee return
Jan 29 2024, 20:41

Continue reading...

Football’s brilliant for some father and son bonding…

celtic-v-inverness-caledonian-thistle-scottish-cup-final-63.jpeg

My young son has, over the past few years, develop an interest in football. I would go as far to say that Celtic (and football in general) has become a passion of his. He is keen to demonstrate his knowledge of current players, not only from Celtic but, from clubs across every league imaginable.

Without doubt, his knowledge of current players exceeds that of his auld da.

At the start of the season I bought him EA SPORTS FC 2024 (previous FIFA) for his games console, and we spend many (at times frustrating) hours playing. A wee bit of father-son bonding over a sport we both love.

celtic-v-aberdeen-cinch-scottish-premiership-42.jpeg

Ultimately, he gets to choose who we sign, while I baulk at the over-inflated prices in the simulation marketplace and attempt to talk him round to my (more frugal) approach. “It’s not real money dad, so calm down.”

So, if his signings perform well, he takes great delight in reminding me of his eye for a player and insists he is praised for his scouting prowess! If they flop, then they are moved on quietly and with minimal fuss (to save face in front of his dad).

celtic-v-inverness-caledonian-thistle-scottish-cup-final-62.jpeg

Of course, he doesn’t get it all his own way, and there are times I cannot resist trying to steer him in the direction of a player that I think will make our team better. There are even times where I’ll make signings without his knowledge or “approval.” If he voices displeasure at this, then I remind him that I bought the game and I’m his dad, so ultimately I get to decide. Pull rank, if you like.

Despite our differences of opinion on these matters, it’s still great fun, and only a game after all.

celtic-v-inverness-caledonian-thistle-scottish-cup-final-64.jpeg

That’s the whole point…..it’s just a game.

I mean, in what version of reality would we ever find ourselves in this position in the real world?!

Now, could anyone imagine letting us loose on a real football club!!?? Father and son playing out the scenario above, with tens of thousands of supporters spending real money on season tickets and, countless thousands worldwide, whose passion and life revolve around that football club?

Just imagine that happening…

Paul Maguire

THE CELTIC STAR’S WINTER SALE IS NOW ON! GET A MASSIVE 50% OFF ALL BOOKS AT CELTICSTARBOOKS.COM/SHOP…

More Stories / Latest
Jan 29 2024, 22:29
Celtic FC Women – Elena Sadiku System Analysis
Jan 29 2024, 21:24
Liverpool rub salt in Celtic’s wounds as Owen Beck set for Dundee return
Jan 29 2024, 20:41

Continue reading...
We've got Liewell 24..The story of how a Father & his Son got RICHER & RICHER whilst Pissin themselves LAFFIN at aw the Dafties Buying ST!! 🤬🤬 Unlike the game u mention there are NO transfer fees involving BIG MONEY as that would eat into their Profit Margin!! In Liewell 24 u buy players for Buttons having sold Established players for MILLIONS...Ensuring ur NET spend is always in the black! No knowledge of proven or dare I say it 'Class' players is required as paying more than £2/3M is FORBIDDEN in Liewell 24! Sadly NO-ONE wins in Liewell 24 EXCEPT the games creators!! Got to pay for those HEATED Driveways Somehow.. Eh! 🤔🤔🤔😏😏😏😏

Back